Wednesday 18 March 2009

What is a line - Crit update 18/03/09

A brief update on where i'm currently at with this project with approx 2 more weeks till the deadline. So far, I have worked around the concept of perspectives and how a certain thing can only be seen at a specific point of view. This has been explored through shapes, layering and depth along with typography and how type can be formed by separate shapes that can only be visible and understood from one perspective.

Questions that I wanted answers to from this crit include:

1. What else can I consider with the concept of perspectives?
2. What other ways could I record type with this concept?
3. Is the concept of perspective and a line of perspectives?
4. What other mediums could I consider?
5. Should I move away from type? If so where should I develop this?

I received some really constructive feedback from my crit group, which has helped direct where I should move on to next. There has been a few mixed opinions as to what I could consider and experiment with, but the majority felt that the concept was clear, but I should move away from digital and experiment with 3D, interactive etc. So far, the majority of my work has been digital based, eventhough I am working on 3D visuals, and I totally agree and had intentions to move away from, however I felt that I wanted a bit more time exploring the concept with type more, which was more efficient to work on digitally.

As a general conclusion/ statement of intent of what I plan to do now...

I have decided that I want to stick with typography, although it has been suggested that I could move onto something more challenging, I still feel that I haven't completely explored the concept of perspective fully and therefore would be a shame to focus on the subject more than the concept at this point.

Whie I will continue to explore shape, depth, form and layering digitally, I will move onto more hands-on stuff. Things like making things out of lego, folded paper and recording through photography and video. The photography studio has been booked and it would be interesting to experiment with 3D form, depth and perspective in an envionment with controlled lighting.

No comments: