Tuesday 28 April 2009

From experience - what I'm going to do...

What Am I Going To Survive On?

Starting Uni/ College can be a daunting experience to begin with. You've left your friends and family at home to live with total strangers, thrown yourself into a completely new environment and signed up to an intensive BA Graphic Design course. From experience, one of the things that I did not prepare for was what I was going to survive on. For a lot of students, instant mash, beans of toast and instant noodles seem to be the way to go. (The rest being thrown on booze and clothes!) There is a sense that student living is all about eating crap all the time, which I personally don't agree with but don't do enough to prevent from happening from time to time.

What am I going to do about it?
Well to start with, I will identify the main areas that relate to this problem: food shopping, budgeting, places to shop for good deals/ fresh produce, recipes, sustaining healthy diet, saving time etc. I've never seen so much food being wasted/ thrown away either being they've gone off or i've cooked too much or because it was disgusting, so I will look into ways to combine left over ingredients, the timing of buying new food and easy student recipes, that share a simple batch of ingredients.

These issues are often caused by:
- People who can't be bothered
- Skint, spent all the money on booze and clothes!
- Don't know how to cook (Or simply too lazy to try)
- Not enough ingredients
- Not enough time

In terms of ways to respond to this, I am thinking of methods to educate, inform, advise or instruct the new first years on how easy it can be to cook good simple food at a low cost while still being able to manage the course and student life.

Although not entirely decided, I intend to produce something that would become a beginners guide to surviving as a student.

No comments: