Friday 1 May 2009

Past, present and beyond

Who were you as a designer at the start of the course?
Before the course, I studied A Level in Photography, Fine Art and worked on a 2 year BTEC National Diploma specializing in 3D design and Graphic Design at Peterborough. Back then I worked mainly digital; merging the disciplines of photography, fine art, illustration and graphic design. I was very experimental, but also very software based, which meant that I often approached a brief by going with my initial ideas without much development. I was a more of a visualizer for the past 2 years before this course, mainly working on the aesthetics of the final piece, rather than looking at the focus of what the brief actually addresses. As a whole, I was a very visual driven designer, I felt that my outcomes looked good, but the aesthetics didn't reflect much thought to the ideas.

Who are you as a designer right now?
Since I started the course up until now, I have abandoned my usual approach with design. Rather than sticking with the digital format, I have began to experiment with 3D materials and hand crafted areas of design. I feel that i've thrown myself different challenges for each brief, allowing myself to explore the various approaches and issues within graphic design and other disciplines. I've started to see graphic design as more a method of visual communication rather than a certain format/style. I do feel that my working method's have been more refined and generally feel that I have a clearer way of solving problems. During the course so far, I've also rediscovered areas of design that i've grown a huge interest in lately including; installations as graphic design, paper, video, books/ editorial and typography.

Who do you intend to be as a designer in the future?
1. I want to refine the way I work as a designer, a lot of the times, I've struggled to get things completed to the standard that i planned it to be. I want to develop a smooth work flow in solving problems, manage each brief professionally, keep things organized and resolve them to the best standard.

2. Presentation skills; something that I feel I need to improve on as quite often I'll just forget everything I planned to say the minute I start and end up throwing all kinds of thoughts out without any particular order. This often confuses the audiences as what my idea/ concept is and can therefore be misinterpreted into something that it's not, which has happened a couple of times. As a whole, I believe that a good designer should hold good presentation skills to be able to communicate their ideas effectively to the client/ audience; something that I aim to work on over the 2nd year.

3. Finally, I want to be an all rounded designer. I don't want any particular style/approach to affect the way I work or who I am as a designer, but focusing rather on idea development and being able to identify good concepts.

No comments: