Thursday 16 April 2009

Recognition Day

One of the first brief's we were given after coming back from our Christmas, we were given a week to work on and submit a resolution that responded to a live brief for either Don't Panic or for Recognition Day. With Don't Panic, we were to design a resolution that reflected/ defined/ visualized/ interpreted the word 'Pure', which would be for an A2 print out. For Recognition, we had to design an A6 postcard design that would helped spread the word and the ethics of Recognition Day.

I decided to design for the Recognition Day brief simply because I was more interested in the theme of recognition and the idea of how it encourages people to spend a moment to thank the small things and the people around them. Especially in a time like this and the way society has been carved out like it is, people really don't spend enough time showing their appreciation of other people and the minor things that make a huge difference.

After exploring a few different directions for this brief, I developed a few resolutions with the emphasis on 'Thanking for the small things that make a difference' and that saying thank you isn't a difficult task. I've always had a fascination with tall buildings, huge flats with tiny windows in them, and inside every tiny window is someone's home, their personal space and probably a place that they spend most their lives in. From this, I also looked into the idea of how it can come from anyone, so a few of my resolutions revolved around images of cityscapes.



Final resolution
This was the final resolution and also the design that I submitted. I wasn't satisfied with it at all really. It might have been due to the fact that I was still in my christmas mood, but the first few weeks of coming back didn't go too well. I was quite excited with the brief from day 1 as it was a live competition and that people from ourside our college would see this. I really wanted to do a good job on this and produce something that both responded to the concept of recognition and also reflected a bit of who I am as a designer so far. Unfortunately, I was a bit stuck with ideas on this, quite a few of my iniital ideas had already been done and I really wanted to push my ideas a lot more.

Looking back, there were a few other ideas I wanted to go with, but was restricted due to the time limit we had to work on it. In the end, I finished with a piece of work that i'm not happy with at all, I don't think the messege is too clear and the piece doesn't really convey the thought that i've put into it. I spent to much time brainstorming different concepts and ideas, which meant that I left the practical side till the last minute, which obviouslt restricted the potential of my final resolution. I have however learnt that I need to be a lot more organised, I need to keep on track with the work load, make decisions alot quicker and move on if they don't work out.

Below are a few examples of the other resoltuions I came up with.






No comments: